Get to know Dr. Matthew Russell, laser eye surgery specialist
IMPROVING VISION, CHANGING LIVES
WE’RE HONOURED TO BE MEMBERS OF THESE PRESTIGIOUS PROFESSIONAL ORGANISATIONS
HELLO! I’M DR. MATTHEW RUSSELL
LASER EYE SURGERY SPECIALIST
Very few things are as precious as clear vision
With over 15 years of experience, I enjoy the privilege of helping patients of all ages reclaim clear vision or preserve it for as long as possible.
Vision correction treatment hinges on the expertise and skill set of the provider. Ophthalmologists like me know how to make treatment safe, comfortable and positive for the patient. They know how to minimise the risk of complications and maximise the chances for success.
I understand that medical and surgical eye care is a serious undertaking. I take the time to address whatever questions and concerns you might have. I believe everyone’s eyes are unique and require a customised solution tailored to your needs and goals.
My combination of education, training and experience positions me to provide optimal results for patients of all ages. I have a passion for helping my patients enjoy the clear, high-definition vision they need to live rich and active lives. Now, I have hand-picked a team of professionals that share my passion and commitment to exceptional care.
MORE INFORMATION ABOUT ME
Read the highlights of my professional CV
Dr. Russell earned his medical degree from the University of Otago in New Zealand. He received the distinguished KG Howsam Medal from the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists for the highest academic performance.
Upon graduation, Dr. Russell completed extensive specialist training, including three fellowships at institutions in the United States and Canada.
He is regarded as an ophthalmic microsurgeon specialist with international training in refractive surgery, medical retinal disease, and cataract surgery. He has also served as a clinical assistant professor at the University of British Columbia in Canada.
Dr. Russell started in private practice in 2007 with Vision Eye Institute in Brisbane and has since gone on to found OKKO Eye Specialist Centre and VSON Vision Correction Specialists.
He has been invited to speak all over the world about his experience and interests.
- Multiple scientific publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Australian medical advisory committee member for Bayer Pharmaceuticals for the indication of Diabetic Macular Oedema
- Invited guest speaker to multiple international conferences including ESCRS 2016–2017, World Congress of Ophthalmology, RANZCO Congress
- Ocular therapeutic course training
- Optometry and medical student training
- Early adopter of micro-incisional cataract surgery
- Pioneered the introduction of new intraocular lens technologies and microsurgical techniques in Brisbane
- First surgeon to use extended depth of focus multifocal implants (Symfony™) in Brisbane
- First surgeon internationally to use the revolutionary Zepto™ capsulotomy system during cataract surgery in combination with next generation FEMTIS intraocular implants to enhance the precision of implant positioning
- First in Brisbane to introduce small aperture intra-ocular lens for post LASIK presbyopic correcting cataract surgery enhancing post-operative depth of focus (Acufocus IC-8™)
- First surgeon in Brisbane to implant a piggy-back small aperture implant (Morcher XtraFocus™)
- Adapted ICL technology for post-cataract surgery vision enhancement
- Clinical Assistant Professor at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver (Canada)
- Post-fellowship training in refractive surgery (University of Sydney)
Awarded the prestigious KG Howsam Medal for the highest-ranked academic performance of Australasian graduates from the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists
- Subspecialty fellowship training in Los Angeles (USA) at the highly regarded University of Southern California Doheny Eye Institute
- Subspecialty fellowship training at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver (Canada)
- Qualified as an ophthalmologist with The Royal Australian & New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists’ (RANZCO) in 2002
- Completed medical degree in 1994
HOW WE COMPARE
- Over 15 years of experience
- An uncompromising commitment to excellent visual outcomes
- The latest, state-of-the-art vision correction technology
- A personalised approach to patient-centred care
- Accessible and affordable treatment with financing options
WHAT OUR PATIENTS SAY…
We’ve helped thousands of Queenslanders enjoy great vision without glasses and contact lenses
“Very friendly and professional staff. Dr Russell is extremely informative and has a really positive presence. The doctor and all of the staff ensured all my questions were answered fully. I left the surgery feeling as if I’d been really well cared for.”
“The staff are all friendly and helpful.”
“Dr. Russell and the entire team should be commended for their genuine care and personal attention. They made every possible effort to explain and clarify the treatment required and made sure I was comfortable through the consultation treatment.”
“I was very impressed with the way they run things. It is a well-oiled machine. Everyone knew exactly what they were doing and were very friendly. To top it off, my treatment was excellent.”
“Dr. Russell is my hubby’s specialist for years. We love him. Such a kind person and always spends time to explain everything.”
“Highly recommended. They are always helpful and friendly and the outcomes have been beyond my expectations.”
“Many thanks for your care and skill and a big thanks to all your staff for their friendly care and professionalism shown each time I have visited.”
“My wife came to see Dr Russell today and we wanted to say thank you to all the staff for the kind and professional service. We are also extremely grateful for Dr Russell’s generosity when it came to us paying for the consultation. We wanted to reach out and say thank you so much!”
DISCOVER IF YOU CAN BE FREE FROM GLASSES AND CONTACT LENSES
The best way to find out if eye treatment is right for you is to have an in-person assessment. You’ll get a clear answer from our experts on your suitability and vision correction options