Not necessarily. There will always be a place for LASIK and TransPRK because not everyone is suitable for the SmartSight vision correction procedure.
All three procedures achieve the same fantastic results. SmartSight is just less invasive.
This has some long-term benefits because your cornea will be stronger as we don’t need to create a flap or remove any layers of your cornea, as is the case with LASIK and TransPRK.
On the flip side, there are some drawbacks:
- SmartSight does not currently correct hyperopia (long-sightedness)
Is SmartSight better than SMILE?
Eye surgeons perform SMILE with ZEISS Visumax laser. Unfortunately, they can’t centre treatment as precisely as we can with LASIK – iris tracking because
- the laser doesn’t offer pupil tracking
- the laser doesn’t offer cyclotorsion control (you have to “dock and treat”)
- we cannot adjust for eye movements or decentration of the treatment during the time of surgery – that means treatment of astigmatism will not be as accurate as we can achieve with LASIK
The next generation of SMILE laser eye surgery is SmartSight. With it, we can:
- alter treatment centration at the time of surgery
- give us more precise control for us to align for the astigmatism correction of the eye
- use a wider treatment zone which may mean that patients might end up getting a better quality of night vision (especially for those who have larger pupils